Thursday 24 January 2013

Cooking - Jaffa Cakes!

So my Husband LOVES jaffa cakes.  I had never even considered that it might be possible to make them. 

This is the link to the recipe, courtesy of Marcus Wareing: http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/jaffa-cakes-recipe

He is obviously a very accomplished chef and his jaffas look really pretty.  Mine... not so much. 

I used a cupcake pan to bake the 'cakes'.  The recipe calls for a mini muffin tin, but I think it would have been difficult getting them out of something deeper. 

It was a bit difficult to tell when they were done, as you don't need them to colour so when we took them out they looked really pale. 

Once the cakes have cooled the recipe calls for the cakes to be sliced in half, a little of the middle scooped out and filled with a teaspoon of marmalade.  This was way harder than it sounds.  I managed to break the first cake just trying to slice it.  I enlisted my Husband to cut the rest open as he is more patient than I am, and patience was definitely the key as they rest were halved relatively neatly. 

Scooping wasn't an option. Instead we just put a bit of marmalade on one half and sandwiched them together.  We substituted the marmalade too and used a shred-less variety. 

The last step was a little easier.  Melting chocolate and coating them.  Messy though.

This is what my finished Jaffas looked like:


They might not look as good as the picture on the original recipe, but they tasted amazing!  We will definitely be making them again, maybe after I have invested in a mini muffin tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment